OT (possibly) Sky Angel alternative
Pamala S Brewer
2006-07-25 12:54:05 UTC
I was raised on southern gospel. I believe it will be near to my
heart forever, but lately I have been going through withdrawal.

I originally signed up for Sky Angel satellite TV service because I
was told the package included Gospel Music TV Network. I was really
disappointed to find only Southern Gospel Radio service once the dish
was hooked up and activated.

Now it is time for renewal, but program changes leave me with only a
handful of stations I watch with any regularity. And most of the SG
programming consists of Gaither Homecoming stuff.

Please don't get me wrong, I am in no way criticizing Gaither
Productions. I simply miss SGTV. A few years ago I had a C-band dish
and was able to get SGTV.

Now to the question: Is there any alternative to Sky Angel?

I'm still up in the air as far as renewing my subscription. I went to
the SGTV web site and followed the link to satellite service. It's a
wee bit embarrassing to admit, but I didn't understand a word I read.

Any insights?

Thanks a bunch,
Pam
d***@verizon.net
2006-07-25 15:34:46 UTC
I, too, purchased the SkyAngel package for SG music. When I first
signed on, Gospel Music Television (GMT) was still available and, along
with Solid Gospel radio, was definitely worth the subscription price
(if you didn't mind video repeats). Anyway, I'm not aware of another
Southern Gospel TV channel. Are you saying there's another TV channel
out there? I did a search on "SGTV" and found nothing of the sort.

Since I paid a lifetime subscription about 10 years ago, renewal is not
an issue for me. I don't listen to the Solid Gospel radio station
anymore because of all the commercials. There are soooo many better
internet stations available (I like Chuck Peter's "Real Southern
Gospel"). I even got XM radio for my car and work and listen to the
new Enlighten station (Ch. 34)....well worth it!

Dave in PA
Pam
Fred
2006-07-25 15:52:59 UTC
GMT is available at www.streamingfaith.com. All you have to do is sign up
(for free) and start watching. I use a DSL connection and have no problems
watching the videos.

Fred
Pam
MDB in SE La
2006-07-25 21:27:14 UTC
Good post Fred. That's true I have DSL and have no problems watching GMT.
I'm a lifetimer who signed up at the NQC in Sept '97. They were toutin the
GMT as advertising on one of their 6 channels, yes there were only 6
channels when SA came on in late '97. I too miss GMT on SA and have written
SA about it to no avail. I think that the majority of people that got it
back then in the late 90s got it because of GMT. That was all the talk at
the NQC for the next several years. Still enjoy it but it's not the same.
Mike
Pam
David Bruce Murray
2006-07-25 21:59:35 UTC
Post by Pamala S Brewer
I was raised on southern gospel. I believe it will be near to my
heart forever, but lately I have been going through withdrawal.
You aren't off topic. :o)
Post by Pamala S Brewer
Now to the question: Is there any alternative to Sky Angel?
The only alternative I'm aware of for SG video is this:
http://www.theset.net/

SET stands for Southern Entertainment Television. They supposedly have three
channels, including one for Southern Gospel.

I've never seen it, other than the video clips they have on the site (with
out of sync audio). It's supposed to be on Galaxy 10R Transponder 13,
whatever that means...I don't have sat TV.
--
David Bruce Murray is still "Making hay while the sun shines"
CD Reviews/BLOG: www.musicscribe.com/blog.html